As the assault on our Second Amendment rights continues, liberals have been quick to try to assuage the anger of the American people by offering a wide variety of asinine alternatives to protect ourselves. In recent days we have heard that urinating, claiming you have a disease, whistles, and a host of other measures are better for self-defense than guns.
On Friday, Colorado State Representative Joe Salazar (D-Thornton) said that he was concerned an emotional woman might shoot the wrong person in an attempt to protect herself from being raped. On the floor of the House he said whistles and safe zones were adequate defenses.
Not to be outdone, Representative Paul Rosenthal (D-Denver) similarly said there are certainly alternatives. He offered the buddy system and judo as ways for women to protect themselves on college campuses.
Vice President Joe Biden who has been putting the pressure on his fellow Democrats at Colorado’s capitol offered his own alternatives. Biden said a double-barreled shotgun would suffice for home defense. Best of all, you don’t even have to shoot at an intruder – just “fire two blasts outside the house.”
Perhaps the vice president should lead by example. I tend to think that if he feels a double-barreled shotgun is adequate for defense, he should arm the Secret Service detail that protects him and his family accordingly. Let them be the first to dump their semi-automatic handguns and AR-15s.
One bill that is likely to pass the Colorado legislature will take away the right of students on college campuses to protect themselves with a concealed firearm. No worries though, the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs Department of Public Safety has a whole host of solutions that will surely keep you just as safe as a gun.
UCCS offered 10 extraordinary tops on their website (and subsequently removed them) that are sure to keep you safe from an attacker:
- Be realistic about your ability to protect yourself.
- Your instinct may be to scream, go ahead! It may startle your attacker and give you an opportunity to run away.
- Kick off your shoes if you have time and can’t run in them.
- Don’t take time to look back; just get away.
- If your life is in danger, passive resistance may be your best defense.
- Tell your attacker that you have a disease or are menstruating.
- Vomiting or urinating may also convince the attacker to leave you alone.
- Yelling, hitting or biting may give you a chance to escape, do it!
- Understand that some actions on your part might lead to more harm.
- Remember, every emergency situation is different. Only you can decide which action is most appropriate.
Democrats and liberals are certain that these defensive measures will be every bit as effective as firearms in keeping you and your family safe. No doubt you feel better now about having your constitutional rights stripped from you.
Editor’s note, 1:00pm: We almost forgot one other Colorado Democrat’s brilliant recommendation to protect yourself – a ball point pen. Such was the proposal from State Senator Jesse Ulibarri (D-Adams County).
Subscribe to Tony’s Rants to be notified by email when a new story is posted: